Three new major releases couldn't beat The Butler or We're the Millers. Mortal Instruments: City of Bones came closest, taking third with $9.3 million and accumulating $14 million since its Wednesday opening. It will do slightly better than fellow underperforming 2013 teen fantasy adaptation Heavenly Creatures, which took in $10.1 million in its first four days and finished with just under $20 million. The World's End only grossed $8.9 million, but that's the best opening of Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright's comedy trilogy. With its somewhat limited number of theaters, it also had the highest per-theater average of the weekend's major releases (though its $5,700 average is less than Hot Fuzz's $7,000). 70% of Hot Fuzz's $80 worldwide total came from overseas, where TWE already has $16 million. You're Next was not the next home invasion sensation, taking seventh. I've heard its budget is less than a million, so it may make a minor profit, but Lionsgate probably hoped for a minor hit along the lines of similar films The Purge or 2008's The Strangers.
Blue Jasmine added over 1,000 screens and jumped into the top ten. The Butler and We're the Millers performances suffered minor losses, and will likely do well next weekend against Getaway. One Direction may open big, but I doubt their audiences overlap much. Kick-Ass 2 nearly fell out of the top ten and won't meet the minor $48 million success of the first. In America, Planes is holding out better than Elysium and may overtake it, in time. Despicable Me 2's $805 million worldwide total has beaten Fast 6's $780 million, though Iron Man 3's $1.2 billion appears untouchable by anything but The Hobbit sequel. The Grandmaster and Short Term 12 both performed well in less than 10 theaters. To see how other movies performed, click here.
Weekend box office estimates for August 23 - 25, 2013:
1. Lee Daniels' The Butler; $17,018,000; $52,275,000 total; -30.9%; 2nd weekend
2. We're the Millers; $13,500,000; $91,740,000 total; -24.9%; 3rd weekend
3. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones; $9,300,000; $14,051,000 total; opening weekend
4. The World's End; $8,942,000; opening weekend
5. Planes; $8,567,000; $59,591,000 total; -36.0%; 3rd weekend
6. Elysium; $7,100,000; $69,054,000 total; -48.1%; 3rd weekend
7. You're Next; $7,050,000; opening weekend
8. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters; $5,200,000; $48,346,000 total; -40.6%; 3rd weekend
9. Blue Jasmine; $4,300,000; $14,799,000 total; +87.7%; 5th weekend
10. Kick-Ass 2; $4,270,000; $22,423,000 total; -68.0%; 2nd weekend